Esscentual Alchemy is the brainchild of owner Amanda Feeley, a classically trained musician who is driven to create handcrafted all natural perfumes that are compelling, luxurious and memory-making.
"Doesn't perfume derive it's beauty from that sensation of a time that doesn't flow, but soars? Everything in this world is but smoke." ~ Françoise Sagan
How did I come up with the name for my business, you might wonder?
These three words:
- Essential: refers to that which is in the natural composition of a thing
- Sensual: the enjoyments derived from the senses, especially from the gratification or indulgence of physical appetites
- Alchemy: any magical power or process of transmuting a common substance, usually of little value, into a substance of great value.
I draw inspiration from many place - literature, music, visual art. Sometimes words inspire me to create. What I do my best to convey to people when they wear my perfumes is emotion in a bottle. I like to tell people a beautiful natural perfume should take you someplace emotionally, and make you think. Similar to art you can't stop looking at to try and discover the meaning behind the piece. Music that is so beautiful it makes you cry, or the book you can't put down until you've finished it, because the author crafted such a compelling story. When I create a perfume, those things are always part of my vision for the final product.
Natural perfumes help people connect with the natural world around them. I find people pleasantly surprised at the positive emotional experience they have when wearing a natural perfume. Natural perfumes are an aroma-therapeutic experience, since our sense of smell is one of the most powerful senses we have.
"Fragrance takes you on a journey of time. You can walk down the street and pass someone and get taken back 20 years. It's very Proustian that way." ~ Daphne Guinness
- 2010 - Best of 2010 for Bennacht and Christmas and Cookies, from CaFleureBon
- 2012 - ESSCENTUAL ALCHEMY perfumes have been selected for gifting to Christina Hendricks, Drew Barrymore, Camryn Manheim and Ryan Gosling. They were included in a 2012 Mother's Day Gift Bag delivered by The Artisan Group to 25 of Hollywood's most talked about Moms, including Beyonce, Jennifer Garner and Uma Thurman. Esscentual Alchemy products have also been in gift bags at elite Hollywood awards ceremonies, including the 2012 MTV Movie Awards, the 2012 Primetime Emmys, the 46th Annual CMA Awards and the 2012 American Music Awards. We've also been featured on television and radio, including KCCI Newschannel 8 and 92.5 KJJY.
- Esscentual Alchemy was the Small Business of the Day Feb. 3, 2012 on Fox News' Small Business Center.
- 2013 - Moon Valley featured in Vogue UK's Natural Beauty Selections, May '13 issue
- Moon Valley featured in Glamour UK's Glamour Goes Green, July '13 issue
- Nominee in the Martha Stewart Made in America contest
- 2014 - Spa Retail: Dayspa's 2014 Valentine's Day Gift Guide featured Lumberjack Man by Esscentual Alchemy.
- Esscentual Alchemy was featured in Renata Helfman's Five Valentine Picks 2014.
- Vanilla Citron was Beauty News NYC's Sagittarius scent of the Month for August 2014.
- 2016 - Winner of TasteTV's Artisan Fragrance Awards Gold Medal - Little Black Dress
- 2017 - Winner of 3 Bronze medals, and 1 Silver medal in TasteTV's Artisan Fragrance Awards